Monday, November 21, 2005

Surgery went well...

Me again. Chuck's surgery went well... he is once again sleeping soundly in his room. He went to surgery around 11:35 and was done about 1:30. I saw one of the docs on the surgical team shortly thereafter and he said everything went well. He was in the recovery room (PACU) until about 4:00. He was quite talkative and wide awake when he came up to his room. Then he snarfed (a word my mom always uses) down his dinner... full tummy plus surgery plus meds equals sleepy time!!

I saw Chuck's attending surgeon (Dr. Smith) before Chuck came back from PACU. Dr. Smith said the plan is still for Chuck to be discharged tomorrow to the Mologne House, and he has a follow-up some time next Monday (the 28th). We should be able to go home on the 29th (fingers crossed!!!). Chuck's hand is bandaged so we have yet to see what this "flap" really looks like. Don't know if I will have to play nurse and change bandages for a few days, but I don't mind as long as I don't have to pick his nose again! :)

Right now his nerve graft surgery is scheduled for 11 January. It can be changed if we need to, but at least we know he's on the schedule. Dr. Smith said expect about a 2 week stay (a few days inpatient and then about a week or so outpatient here). Not too bad, considering how long we've been here this time (plus over the summer). It all really depends on how Chuck's pain management goes. Oh.... and I made sure that NONE of his meds were changed after today's surgery!!! Dr. Smith said all the meds are the same, so no need to worry (thank goodness!). Chuck should remain on planet Earth w/ the rest of us...

Thanks for adding my dad to your prayer lists... I appreciate it.

As for SPC Smutz (Tom Miller asked about him), as far as I know he is doing okay. We saw him briefly when he was home on R&R (when Chuck asked you all to pray for him). He is back in Iraq w/ the Aces. We have not had any news of anyone in the Aces being wounded, so that is good. Every now and then we hear from one of the guys. They all miss Chuck (and he misses them), but they are driving on, just like Chuck trained them to do.

That's about all I have for now. We'll continue to keep y'all posted. I hope you all have a blessed Thanksgiving Day!!!

Take care, God Bless you all and our Armed Forces!

Until next time,
Carren

No comments: