Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Airplane Tattoo

Hey Folks! This is Carren. This post will not be about my many opinions re the conditions at WRAMC. Chuck makes the high points much better than I ever could. One thing I can say is that it was pretty pathetic while we were there.

The main issue, as a family member, is that you don't have time to worry about your living conditions and constantly follow up w/ those who say they'll "fix" the problem. The wounded troops and families are supposed to be focused on getting well - not the living conditions. But when living conditions become the focus, instead of healing and moving forward with life, THAT is a problem!!! I am glad that building 18 (and hopefully other living facilities that house wounded troops and family members) is being "fixed." But covering up holes in the walls and mopping the nasty floors is not going to give back the dignity to the people who live (or who have lived) there. It seems to be a step in the right direction, but once the media loses its interest in this situation, there is a chance that the "fixing" will cease. I truly hope not... but keep your eyes and ears open.

And I digress... I have a funny story to share (short, but funny).

Today is Ash Wednesday, for those of you who are familiar. I went to the service at church and when I came home our three-year-old daughter, Adelle (who will be 4 next month and has the attitude of a 15-year-old!), gave us a good laugh. We were talking in the hallway for a few minutes when she cocked her head to the side and gave me a funny look.

Then she said, "Mom, is that an airplane tattoo?"

I was confused for a second, then I realized she was talking about the ashes on my forehead (shaped as a cross, not an airplane). Chuck and I busted out laughing, to which Adelle was offended b/c we were "laughing at her." It was one of those priceless moments.

Chuck said I owe you all a post about meeting Senator John McCain. Since it's late and I am tired, you'll just have to wait until my brain can function better - it's a story you do NOT want to miss... I say that b/c if this man thinks he'll make a good president, he has a lot of sucking up to do to get votes!

Until next time... thanks for continuing to read Chuck's blog and for supporting our troops and their families! You all rock!!!

No comments: