Saturday, May 24, 2008

Memorial Day, Part I

2 Timothy 4:7

I have fought the good fight. I have completed the race. I have kept the faith.

Dan,

I wear your bracelet and have a flag flown over the FOB that bears your name.

You wife is doing well, and your two boys--what fine young men they are!

I came to visit you last spring--it was a cold rainy day in March, a grey day with a cold hawk gusting in from the Potomac. The air was still at Arlington, and few were there to sightsee, just a few families, one was holding a birthday party for their son nearby, another an old veteran stopping by to visit his brother, who he last saw over the skies of St. Lo.

I tool note of the names around you--like so many men I've known over the years: Rodrigues, Walker, Scarborough, Johansen. Heroes all, brothers to you and me. I was pleased to see you were in such a fine company, that you were in a company of heroes.

I miss you Dan.

No comments: