Friday, May 16, 2008

Matthis Chiroux

I have to admit, my initial thought on this guy were "What a pussy."

But I will admit, he does have the courage of conviction to do what his heart tells him is right.

Then I read his statement, and have a few questions of my own:

"Good afternoon, my name is Sergeant Matthis Chiroux and I served as an army photo journalist until being honorably discharged last summer after over four years of service in Afghanistan and Europe and the Phillipines.

As an army journalist whose job it was to college and filter service members’ stories, I heard many a stomach-churning testimony of the horrors and crimes taking place in Iraq. For fear of retaliation from the military, I failed to report these crimes. Never again will I allow fear to silence me. Never again will I fail to stand. In February, I received a letter from the Army, ordering my return to active duty, with the purpose of mobilization in Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Thanks in great part to the truths of war being fearlessly spoken by my fellow IVAW members, I stand before you today with the strength and clarity and resolve to declare the military and my government and the world that this soldier will not be deploying to Iraq.

This occupation is unconstitutional and illegal, and I hereby lawfully refuse to participate as I will surely be a party to war crimes. Furthermore, deployment and support of illegal war violates all of my core values as a human being. But in keeping with those values, I choose to remain in the United States to defend myself from charges brought by the Army, if they so wish to pursue them. I refuse to participate in the Iraq occupation."
1. For the record, you never served a single day in Iraq, and have no personal, first-hand knowledge of what goes on in-country, other than what you have heard from others, in non-sworn testimony, correct?

You, as a journalist, were tasked with collaging and filtering other's stories. You claim to have heard multiple accounts of "
stomach-churning testimony of the horrors and crimes taking place in Iraq."

2. As a photojournalist, not an oral historian, did you ever gather any corroborating evidence to support the stories you were told?

3. Do you, a photojournalist, have one single photo showing the horrors and crimes committed by US forces in Iraq?
3a. Do you base all of your decisions off of barracks hearsay?
3b. Did you ever hear the one about the guy, just one or two basic training cycles before yours, that tied his neck to the floor buffer cord, and threw it from the window, but didn't know it was a three-story fall and a four-story cord?

4. Did any/all of these stomach-turning stories start with "no shit, there I was, true story..."?

For fear of retaliation from the military, I failed to report these crimes. [and]...deployment and support of illegal war violates all of my core values as a human being.

5. So, by your own admission, do you place your integrity and honor, which are two core army values, beneath your personal fears?

The second-to-last last line of the Army's NCO creed states that "
I will not compromise my integrity, nor my moral courage."

6. Did you sell out your values then, you did then, or are you doing so now, because of an ulterior motive to avoid deployment?

7. Do you honestly believe that if you were not safe while in the Army because of speaking out, that you would be even more safe from the black helicopters in Whisper Mode TM, and foreign service operatives contracted by the DoD for rendition?

This occupation is unconstitutional and illegal, and I hereby lawfully refuse to participate as I will surely be a party to war crimes.


The congress passed the
Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002, in October 2002 as Public Law No: 107-243, authorizing the Iraq War. The Supreme Court of the United States determined that this law was in fact, constitutional.

8. So how is this occupation unconstitutional or illegal, exactly?

The oath of enlistment you signed and swore to, explains in very clear language that your enlistment is for eight years, and delineates that a portion will initially be served on active duty, or in the active reserve or national guard. After the aforementioned duty period, you are placed in the inactive reserve, and are eligible to be recalled to active duty at any time until the eight-year enlistment is over.

9. Did you ever apply for conscientious objector status, or did you only recently object to our presence in Iraq once you were selected to deploy?


So, it appears my initial assumptions were correct. You,
Matthis Chiroux, are a pussy. You are an asshat, a douchebag, and not worthy of the rank you hold. You are a coward. You should be convicted of cowardice, reduced in rank to E-1, lose all pay, allowances, and benefits, and dishonorably discharged from the military.

You either sold out your honor then, or now. Either way, you don't warrant, merit, deserve or otherwise get my respect.

--Chuck

No comments: