Thursday, May 15, 2008

The NEW GI Bill passes in the house!

Now it goes to senate (next week) and then to the desk of the president, to make it law. (/civics lesson). Unfortunately, while scrolling through the voting records, I did not see the name Bill Shuster in the "yea" column. He voted against extending increased benefits, which would cover more of the rising costs of education, and which would be extended earlier, to our veterans.

So I wrote the good congressman, and asked his reasons for his no vote. I'll post a follow up if and when I get it.

Sir,

I would like to know your reasons for voting against the New GI Bill (I support the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act (S. 22 and H.R. 5740).

As a currently serving soldier and constituent, I cannot imagine any good reason to deny this new GI bill to our returning servicemembers.

Congressman, you are supposed to represent me, and the other veterans in your district, and serve in my best interests. If you can't do that, then I don't think you should continue to serve in the house, nor should you seek re-election.

You've lost my vote already, and once lost, you'll have to work very hard to get it back.

Regards,

Charles Ziegenfuss


I'll wager he'll say something about not wanting to raise taxes to pay for it, (lemme take a stab at the federal budget, I'll find the money.) I may just have to vote non-republican next time.

--Chuck

No comments: