Monday, July 14, 2008

Generation kill

Saw episode 1 tonight. First thoughts:

It appears that there isn't a single marine officer in this miniseries who packs the gear to tell those above him to make a goddamned decision and fight for their marines.

As for the rest of the unit, it appears that they aren't really so much of an organization as they are a Pirate Crew.

The two things they did nail on the head so far is the alien nature of the middle eastern culture, and Command Sergeants Major who focus their energies on the inane and minuscule, instead of making sure the men have what they need.

And the "Captain America" character, if he were one of my peers or one of my lieutenants, would find himself in a hurt locker really quick. I damn sure wouldn't put up with his vaginal monologues every five minutes.

We'll see how episode II goes.

Immediately following Episode I, HBO re-aired "Alive Day Memories." I made it through almost half the film before I couldn't watch anymore. I highly recommend it to all of you.

--Chuck

No comments: