Thursday, March 25, 2010

Can someone help me balance this in my head?

Hat tip, Powerline


Solomon B. Watson IV was the top legal officer of the New York Times back in 2005 and 2006 when, notoriously, it published two stories compromising top-secret counterterrorism programs, and putting people's lives at risk, not just in the espionage community, but on the battlefield as well.

Schoenfeld's soon to be published Necessary Secrets found inspiration from the issues raised by the Times's (unprosecuted and unpunished) violations of the Espionage Act. 


The Obama administration has now nominated Watson to be general counsel of the Army. 

So, when lawyering for a gossip rag,  he clears publication of secrets, no, make that top secrets.  So, how would he prosecute someone who does likewise?  (I know how--he'll simply excuse it by saying "When I had that job, I was paid to determine if the grey bimbo could get away with it.  Now that I'm an Army lawyer, my job is to punish people who don't have lawyers telling them ahead of time if they can get away with it.)


--Chucl

No comments: