Monday, June 14, 2010

Oh no, he didn't

US President Barack Obama has said the oil disaster in the Gulf of Mexico will have the same impact on the US psyche as 9/11. 

Respectfully, Mr. President, I disagree.

Sir, I strongly doubt the American people will rise up, and demand vengeance.
I strongly doubt Broadway will go dark, in mourning.
I doubt anyone will camp out on your front yard to protest their son's lost life.
I doubt we will see the military recruiting in record numbers because people want to fight the oil slick.
I doubt I will wake up sweating in the middle of the night, after dreaming of the poor widdle pelicans covered in oil.  (Unless it's peanut oil.  I'll bet deep-fried pelican is tasty.)

Sir, do you even remember 9/11/2001?  2,996 People died that day.  Three of the most iconic buildings in America were struck, and two were destroyed.  Another building (which you can see from your government housing) was spared, because of the brave men and women who cried "Let' Roll!" and fought back, at the cost of their own lives.  Their effort resulted in an environmental disaster in Shanksville, Pennsylvania.

The skies over our nation were silent for a week.  People were stranded all across the country.

We were a nation in shock, a nation in disbelief, a nation that was forever changed.

Sorry, but I just can not agree that a few cents' rise in the price of gas, the loss of gulf coast shrimp, and a bunch of blubbering swamp-dwelling cajuns on the news is going to change our National Psyche.

Of course, given the current efforts to actually do something about this spill, it could lead to a 10-year long quagmire in the gulf.  (Did I just say that?)

Oh, and Happy Flag day.

--Chuck

Other things, however, will be imprinted on the national psyche.

 

No comments: