Friday, December 31, 2010

Small acts of kindness

On any other day it wouldn't have been a big deal.  Two hours later, it would not have been a big deal.  But no, the truck's battery had to die when I was trying to leave the veterinarian's with my geriatric, curmudgeonly cat.  She had just been poked and prodded and wanted nothing more than to come home and plot my untimely demise.  If it had been just me, I would have just laughed.

The roadside service said they best they could do was one hour.  Yay.

A very nice man in the waiting room with his dog offered a jump start.  By some twist of fate, his truck was bigger than mine and parked right next to it.

I thanked him profusely.  He acted like it was no big deal, and maybe a jump start isn't.  But offering was.

As I was pulling out I realized there was another reason I should have thanked him.  He had a bumper sticker that said he has a son in the Army.

Since I have no way of thanking him again, I guess I'll just have to find a way to pay it forward.

~~Code Monkey

No comments: