Thursday, January 13, 2011

Snowcare for the Troops

This is a pretty cool idea. When I am away from home (or otherwise impaired) lawn and snow duty often fell on the Mrs., and her herniated L4/L5. If I was home, that meant doing the heavy work myself, and damn the pain from my injuries. If I wasn't, it meant she did the work that needed done, and had to deal with her pain.

One week, after a particularly bad snow and ice storm a) stranded us in DC b) postponed my surgery for a week and c) had us returning to a driveway covered in 2' of snow, layered with ice we faced a big dilemma: she shovels, and is incapable of caring for me (as I had just had my hand carved up, again, a day before) or I shovel, one handed, and try to keep my braced up hand warm while I do so, so as not to get frostbite.

To put it mildly, we were screwed. We both started working the driveway, as soon as I got the 4wd truck unstuck. (The Mrs. did it, only she could get a 4wd stuck in snow--in a driveway.) So we get about 1/4 of the driveway cleared--it was a two car wide, 75' driveway, on a hill--and are both fading, really fast. she's in pain, I'm in pain and frustrated because I can't do simple shit like hold a snow shovel.

All of the sudden, a guy pulls up with a snow plow on his pickup. He asks if he can help, and to our many thanks, he then proceeds to clear the driveway for us, and refused to take anything for it. Usually these guys go around plowing business' lots or houses for cash, this guy knew I was a soldier and just wanted to do something nice.

And now there's this:  (more at the link)

Project EverGreen has partnered with The BOSS Snowplow to connect military families with snow and ice management professionals and volunteers to provide free snow and ice removal services. If you are interested in helping a family in your area, please take a moment to complete our online application.

While Project Evergreen's SnowCare for Troops program continues its mission to help our military families, we hope that the future will bring PEACE to everyone.

Project EverGreen's SnowCare for Troops program appreciates the contractors/volunteers who have stepped forward to help our military families at home. Thank you all!

No comments: