Friday, November 18, 2005

Can't think of a good title...

This week has been rather quiet, so I haven't had much to post about. Chuck is doing pretty well... very tired most of the time. He's still on planet Earth, which is good! We've had days where he slept a lot, and days where he was up for most of the day, but we just kinda hung out and watched TV, chatted, etc. Today he is tired... sleeping like a baby in his room. I keep myself busy most of the time, but some days it feels like the walls of WR are closing in. I can only imagine what Chuck (and other patients) must feel being in here 24/7 for weeks and months at a time! We've had a few visitors since we've been here, but Chuck is usually sleeping so if I am here I chat w/ them a little ( a few Generals and Congressman have stopped by).

This trip has taught me even more about being an advocate for Chuck. Last time we were here I was still new to all of this stuff and just flew by the seat of my pants. But this time I have a much better handle on Chuck's rights as a patient, as well as my rights as his wife/family member. I know many of you have written about a loved one who was hospitalized and the struggles you experienced. This is more for those who have not been through that sort of thing (and I pray you never will). STICK TO YOUR GUNS!!!!!!! You know your loved one better than any doctor or nurse, etc. Patient advocacy is so important, especially when someone you love is lying in the hospital bed. If you think something is wrong, or you don't feel comfortable w/ something the doctor or nurse has done or told you... speak up!!! No one is perfect... mistakes can be made, and unless the family speaks up there could be serious complications.

I don't want to put a negative spin on hositals, doctors, nurses, etc. Chuck has an awesome surgeon and has had great nurses, but they don't spend every day w/ him and don't see the things I see when I am w/ him. That said... my little escapade last week is proof that if you stay strong and be persistant, it will pay off in the end. Is it easy, hell no! Is it necessary, sometimes it is.

Okay... rant is over. I feel better. I've been thinking a lot about last week so I just wanted to share what was milling in my mind. I hope Chuck will be up to posting again soon. I know his last post was rather disturbing, but he is okay and is not obsessing about what happened. There is a whole world of emotions going through him and he is doing his best to deal w/ them.... as am I. Thank you for understanding and allowing us both to post what we feel and not judge us if you do not agree w/ what you are reading. I enjoy posting myself... it's a great outlet. I am not usually an open book like I have been w/ Chuck's ordeal, but it definitely helps.

Y'all have a great weekend! I will keep you updated. Chuck has surgery on Monday. Please continue to keep him in your prayers.

Take care, God Bless you all and our Armed Forces!

Until next time,
Carren

No comments: