Thursday, October 29, 2009

My own words cannot express

My words cannot express here how I feel about the administration's use of bodies returning to Dover as a photo op.  Blackfive asks some poignant questions that I doubt will be answered by this administration.  (Until the book deals.)

I won't republish these photos, because I am not a journalist.  I have a personal code of honor that will not tolerate even one single visit by someone searching for pictures of wounded or the bodies of our dead.  

I cannot express here the rage that I feel when I look at these pictures.  It's too coincidental--an administration that is taking weeks to consider urgent requests, losing points daily in public opinion, foreign policy and approval polls, now arrives at Dover AFB to pay respects to the return of our heroes.  In an administration whose Chief of Staff once said: "You never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that it's an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before." I wonder what opportunity they are seeking here?


I don't recall the administration making any effort to visit Dover before, so why now?  Why haven't the heroes returned been important enough until now?  The time of the President is incredibly valuable.  He is an incredibly busy person.  His day is managed by the minute.  Its because of the value of his time that I wonder whether the actions of the administration were altruistic or if there is an ulterior motive.



I always felt the policy of allowing photographers at Dover was ill-advised, because it would eventually lead to one side or the other using the photos for political statements.  I just never thought it would be the President to do it first.


I recall my visit with President Bush when I was in the hospital.  No reporters, no journalists, no cameras.  Just me, the Mrs, Mom, the CiC, and the White house photographer.  The pictures he took were sent to me later--signed.  I asked why no reporter--his reply: "Because this visit isn't about me, or anyone else but you.  I want to thank you for your sacrifice, and that's all."  Sure, it'd be a great photo op (see Carren's piece about John McCain.)   President Bush realized that there was more honor in a private ceremony than there ever could be in a public one.  


I don't know why the administration chose now to visit Dover.  If it's because we lost so many this week, is it only important if we lose many, instead of only a few?  If it's to honor the fallen, why now?  We have flights arriving all the time--this isn't the first flight coming in to Dover since Inauguration day.


I would like to think there are no agendas or ulterior motives at play here.  I would like to think that no one from the administration alerted the media before this event.  I would like to think that this administration isn't trying to make public relations capital on the remains of a dead soldier.



I'd like to think that.  I'm just not sure I can.

No comments: