Friday, February 19, 2010

Volunteers Give Cancer Survivor Home Makeover

All too often you hear those stories of people who got a home makeover from that TV show and later can't afford to keep their new digs.  When I saw this headline on Twitter, I cringed.  Happily, I was all wrong.
Volunteers Give Cancer Survivor Home Makeover

A valley mother and military veteran diagnosed with breast cancer got some much-deserved help from 80 volunteers.
In this case, volunteers from Central Arizona Project worked on fixing up her current home, not building her a McMansion that will have electricity bills that make a mortgage payment pale in comparison.

Personally, I know the sense of relief you feel when you have to ask for help when it's the last thing you want to do and the person you asked says only, "When and where?"  These volunteers are doing a wonderful thing for Ms. Terranova.   I hope that some day she does get her wish to do the same for someone else.



I noticed that CAP lists "Employee-led committees for communications and volunteerism" as one of their employee benefits on the job listing section of their web site. That's pretty cool.

No comments: