Thursday, December 02, 2010

It's just a game

Some people only "get it" when they're smacked upside the head with a clue-bat.

In my previous post, I mention that Gabe Watson of the Arizona Cardinals "gets it" because he showed up at the airport to welcome Pvt. Joshua Bullis when he came home for Thanksgiving with his family.

This guy? Not so much:
In an attempt to defend ripping Giants fans Tuesday for booing the team, (Antrel) Rolle said: "They want to make it that guys paid this much money for a ticket. Yeah, I understand that, I understand completely. We risk ourselves out there on the field each and every day also. When soldiers come home from Iraq you don't boo them. I look at it the same way. I take my job seriously."
*sigh*

When I first clicked the link on Drudge, his carefully scripted apology was not part of the article yet. And yeah, he says all the right things NOW.  I wonder who wrote that apology for him.

It's hard to tell which excuse/apology in that article is in response to which time he's put his foot in his mouth.  Surprisingly, this is not the first time.  /sarc

At one point, he's quoted blaming his lack of filter on his mother.  If his mother is a candid and outspoken woman, I doubt that was a very bright idea.  But it doesn't sound like Mr. Rolle runs into a whole lot of bright ideas that are not printed out and handed to him for him to read in front of the cameras.

Football is a game.  That's it.  If you can't even respect the men and women of our military who make this a country in which you can get paid to throw around a ball, then at least admit that you play a game for a living. I don't care how seriously you take it.  It's a game.

But I took a special delight in this line:  "Rolle, a former Arizona Cardinal..."  Oh, yeah, there was more after that, but I was too busy laughing to keep reading.  Maybe they have a no-douchebags clause when you play for the Cardinals.

I like the Cardinals more and more every day, even if they are having a lousy season.  At least they're showing some class off the field.

~~Code Monkey

No comments: